Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I've Been a Green All Along and Didn't Know It!


As I mentioned in my previous blog, I've joined the Four Lakes Chapter of the Green Party (4LGP). In order to symbolize my transition to becoming more politically active, I wore a T-shirt, to last Monday's 4LGP meeting, that I haven't worn since June of 1996.
The T-shirt has the logo of the Labor Party and the inscription, "History In The Making". It was the T-shirt that I wore at the founding convention of the Labor Party that was held in Cleveland, Ohio, in June of 1996.

While at the convention, I spoke with John Nichols. Recently I re-lived the convention when I re-read his article (which is now online) titled, Party hardly: Labor gets it together - sort of - Labor Party Founding Convention in Cleveland, OH, 1996. The article was originally published in the August, 1996 issue of The Progressive.

I recall the thunderous applause for Ralph Nader when he addressed the convention from the floor saying, "This is the birthplace convention of the new labor movement for the twentyfirst century--a movement to contain the wild excesses of corporations and to end their control over our politics, our culture, our very lives!"

In retrospect, Ralph Nader was wrong about the Labor Party being "a movement to contain the wild excesss of corporations and to end their control over our politics, our culture, our very lives!" The Labor Party was founded on moral principles and adopted a platform to live by, but never ran candidates for office.
I've been a a Green all along, but didn't know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment