Thursday, May 14, 2009

Back Up to April 2009 McFarland Area Senior News

Since I've learned how to make "Tiny URLs" that provide easy access to Internet files that otherwise would take a number of clicks to open, I would like to back up to the McFarland Area Senior News for April 2009. Page 5 is an events calendar for the month with several dates and events (some noted and others not) that I would particularly like to point out.

April 3, 2009 - McFarland Senior Outreach Program has nutrition sites in both McFarland and Cambridge, Wisconsin. I enter data into the Social Assistance Management System (SAMS) for participants in both communities. On Friday, April 3rd, I traveled to Cambridge to both participate in the noon meal and to testify at a public hearing on Wisconsin's 2009-2011 State budget. Both events were held in the Amundson Community Center.

Wisconsin is in the process of developing its next biennial budget and the Joint Finance Committee of the Wisconsin Legislature held a public hearing in a large room adjacent to the room in which the congregate meal was served. The public hearing was very crowded, and although I had arrived early, I would have had to wait until evening to testify. In lieu of testifying in person, I submitted a written copy of my testimony and came home after the noon meal.

In my testimony, I said that through the years, politics has weakened human services by splitting the once overarching umbrella agency that was the Department of Health and Social Services into a multitude of state level agencies. I said that I believed it was time for the Legislature to reorganize state government to meet modern challenges and re-establish citizen boards to oversee agencies.

Because I believe that the State Aging Unit and Dane County are violating the privacy and security of my personal health information and that of other seniors, I said that I intend to file a verified complaint with the Attorney General of Wisconsin requesting that he bring a civil action in federal court on behalf of the citizens of Wisconsin to enjoin Dane County and the State of Wisconsin from continuing to use the Social Assistance Management System (SAMS).

April 16, 2009 - This day had been designated as National Healthcare Decisions Day (NHDD). An article on page 3 explains the tools, such as the Power of Attorney for Health Care that the Senior Outreach Program makes available in accordance with Wisconsin state laws.

April 29, 2009 - Maren Solberg, Attorney for the Coalition of Wisconsin Aging Groups (CWAG) presented a program and provided handouts on "Popular Scams and How to Avoid Them" and information on how to: "Take Action Against Identity Theft". One service that I had not been aware of is at the Web site: http://www.propertyfraudalert.com/ which provides a service (currently only available in Dane, Milwaukee, St. Croix and Winnebago Counties) that alerts you if someone is filing a fraudulent document with a register of deeds office. According to the FBI, property and mortgage fraud is the fastest growing white-collar crime. It can be as simple as someone recording a fraudulent document making it look like they now own your home or property.

No comments:

Post a Comment